Thursday, May 22, 2008

Can You Hear Me Now?

Monday morning we got up in the dark to try Braden's ear surgery again. We all were much more relaxed this time. I guess the first trip had prepared us for this trip. The only difference is that it wasn't cancelled at the last minute. Braden was very calm throughout the process. He had some fun playing with his cool jellyfish hat. I was surprised that he didn't complain about being thirsty or hungry. He asked but when we said no, he just dropped it.

They decided to give him a little cocktail of Tylenol and something else that I don't remember the name of (and probably couldn't spell if I did remember). The cocktail wasn't suppose to knock him out just relax him so he didn't panic when they wheeled him to the operating room and put him on the table. It totally knocked him out! At first he was really funny and Mike and I had to laugh at him because he was just too funny. When he first started looking a little loopy, Mike asked him how he felt and he said "Like a big chicken!". I laughed so hard with that one. I couldn't help it. The funny wore off though and then he just looked sad. He was so droggy that he couldn't talk. He would try but he couldn't get words out. That part was sad.

The surgery went well. They put tubes in both ears and snipped his tongue. His doctor had to cut more on his tongue than she thought and even had to add a few stitches. He was out of commission most of Monday. He laid in his bed watching TV the whole day and evening. He's never complained about his ears but his tongue was really sore a few days but now he doesn't even complain about it.

I've been asking him everyday if I sound different or if the tv sounds louder. He says everything sounds the same. I'm hoping that he just doesn't notice the difference. I guess we'll see the results in his speech. I do hope it all helps.

1 comments:

Moby Dick said...

surfed in by accident, good luck on all the health issues!